We’re planning a road trip across Canada, from our home near Toronto to the Canadian Rockies and home again. We’ll be on the road for almost two months, covering close to 8,000 km, camping most of the time—and eating well.
Our primary destination will be the Rockies in all their early fall splendor. We are so looking forward to taking in incredible scenery such as Pyramid Lake in Jasper National Park captured above by Scott Kranz @scott_kranz on Instagram.
Cheese stops are on the itinerary, and food stops, too. Here’s the beginning of our list:
- Nickel City Cheese & Poutinerie near Sudbury
- Agawa Fish & Chips north of Sault Ste Marie
- Costa’s Foods in Terrace Bay for its butcher shop
- The Fish Shop for the best smoked fish anywhere
- Thunder Oak Cheese for award-winning gouda
- Stanley Hill Bison for something tasty for the BBQ
- Dogtooth Lake near Kenora to try our hand at fishing for walleye
- Métis Crossing near Edmonton for smoked bison and smoked trout
- Lakeside Dairy north of Edmonton to provision with cheese and beef for our stay in Jasper.
- Charcut Roast House in Calgary for a fabulous meat dish
- Blackfoot Truckstop Diner in Calgary for Flapper Pie, a Canadian prairie classic
- Loaf & Honey in Winnipeg for monastic cheese, and possibly a chance to make cheese with Dustin Peltier
- Feast Café Bistro in Winnipeg for bannock pizza and other Indigenous treats
- Chaeban Artisan in Winnipeg for cheese and ice cream
- Bothwell Cheese in Winnipeg, in case we don’t have enough cheese for the trip home.
If you have a suggestion or recommendation, please leave it in comments below.
If you’re planning to visit the Rockies, be sure to check out Travel Alberta, an excellent resource for all things Alberta.
Read more about our plans and the itinerary at our new website On the Road, Across the Sea on Substack. Come along for the ride by subscribing to our newsletter on the Substack page. It’s free.
Georgs Kolesnikovs, Cheese-Head-in-Chief at CheeseLover.ca, has never met a cheese he didn’t like . . . well, hardly ever. Follow him on YouTube at Strictly Cheese.