We lower the curtain on 2014 with Vanessa Simmons, respected cheese sommelier at Savvy Company in Ottawa, recalling the 12 Canadian cheeses that made the year memorable for her palate. Check out her tasting notes and make up your shopping list for the next visit to a cheese shop.
- Celtic Blue Reserve: Glengarry Fine Cheese
- Even more robust, buttery than the Celtic Blue we know and love from Glengarry Fine Cheese.
- Taliah: Taliah
- New-on-the-scene earthy ewe’s milk clothbound cheddar from Québec.
- Lenberg Farms Classic Reserve by Celebrity Lindsay Bandaged Cheddar: Mariposa Dairy
- Continues to wow year after year. Tangy, fruity, yet clean.
- Bonnechere 2 year: Back Forty Artisan Cheese
- One-of-a-kind and very rare to find aged. Packs a punch of flavour with awesome bite on the finish.
- Magie De Madawaska: Fromagerie le Détour
- Runny, lucious, creamy, buttery, nutty and ooey-gooey good when perfectly à point (fully ripened).
- Bella Casara Mascarpone: Quality Cheese
- Rich, and oh so sinful, with flavors of butter, cream and a hint of sweet dulce de leche (to quote myself!). Eat right from the spoon.
- Quality Cheese Hand-Pulled Burrata: Quality Cheese
- Heaven. Pure indulgence. Need I say more?
- Sylvan Star Natural Smoked Gouda: Sylvan Star Cheese Farm
- Surprising! Hints of bacon, maple and smoke, with an overlay of butter and nut rounding out its smooth and supple texture.
- Chèvre a Ma Maniere: Fromagerie L’Atelier
- Elegant, delicate, tender, yeasty, gorgeous!
- La Madeleine: Fromagerie Nouvelle France
- Soft and sweet, with a hint of sour finish.
- Pont Blanc: Au Grés des Champs
- Texture of soft ice cream sandwich with flavours and aromas of fresh sweet milk and grass that lingers and lingers.
- Laliberté: Fromagerie du Presbytère
- Cheesecake-like luxury, silky, creamy, melty-in-your-mouth.
hello, are you on twitter so I can retweet your page? thanks Barbara, Cidrerie St-Nicolas ciders
Yes, reach me @CheeseLoverG.