Buddha Dog is no Coney Island hot-dog emporium. It serves specialty dogs, yes, but, more so, it’s a celebration of local, sustainable food.
In the seven years since Buddha Dog opened in Picton, Ontario, says Andrew Mackenzie, “We’ve developed over 250 different seasonal sauces, worked with dozens of craft cheesemakers, and have made classic beef, classic beef laced with cheese curd (our poutine dog!), smoked turkey, venison, roast root veggie, and Tamworth pork dogs. Beef is always on the menu, others make seasonal appearances, and we still have to ace the Lake Ontario freshwater fish dog!”
The most popular Buddha Dogs:
- Black River Pepperjack with Cherry Ketchup
- Fifth Town Plain Jane Chèvre with Wild Leek Aioli
- Chilidog with Black River Hot Mozzarella & Rebecca’s Kickass County Coleslaw
- Hunter’s Trinity Dog (Garlic Aioli, Roasted Red Pepper Jelly & Spicy Jerk)
- The Fabegé (secret menu dog with Black River 7-year-old Cheddar wrapped in smoked bacon).
- Business partners Mackenzie and Andrew Hunter opened Buddha Dog on Canada Day, 2005. It quickly became a featured food fixture of Prince Edward County.
The Buddha Dog Airstream is at this weekend’s Great Canadian Cheese Festival, joining Cheesewerks of Toronto, Flatbread Pizza of Ottawa and the Prince Edward County 4-H milkshake truck in the Festival’s food court.